New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday reserved its order on a petition challenging the government's decision to permit the private schools to go ahead with nursery admissions for children over three years of age. The court also clarified that the admissions, scheduled to begin on February 1, would continue until a verdict is passed.
Though a single-judge order had stayed the government's nursery admission norms, a Bench of acting chief Justice A. K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw clarified that the stay applied only to children under the EWS category, and not to admissions in general.
The order was reserved after the private schools told the Bench that nurseries were part of the formal education system and should be allowed to admit children aged below four years. "The nursery classes can be treated as entry level," the schools' counsel Sobha said, adding: "Pre-schools should not be segregated from the formal education system." Social Jurist, an NGO, had moved the court against the government order, saying it violated an earlier high court judgment and the Delhi Education Act.
The PIL claimed that the government had failed to stop unaided private schools from admitting children aged below four years which had been the bar set by the earlier HC judgment. It also accused the government of failing to ensure a single year of pre-primary classes.