New Delhi: A day before the Delhi High Court is expected to pronounce its crucial judgment on the nursery admission issue, the Delhi Government on Thursday filed an affidavit, saying it was in favour of schools following the present procedure till it framed proper guidelines. "The necessary guidelines/ rules will be worked out by the government after detailed discussions and consultations with experts and stakeholders," said an affidavit filed by Shashi Kaushal, a senior Directorate of Education official.
"That in pursuance to the decision taken by the cabinet on the recommendation of the Ashok Ganguly Committee, the department had issued the Recognised Schools (Admission Procedure for Pre-primary Classes) Order 2007, wherein it is clearly mentioned that schools which are already providing pre-school education may continue to do so till the framing of guidelines," the affidavit said.
"The government affidavit is a complete U-turn. Till now they have been saying that the Ganguly committee recommendations will be followed. Now they say let the schools have their way till they frame guidelines," said Ashok Agarwal, lawyer for Social Jurist, the NGO representing parents.
A bench headed by acting Chief Justice AK Sikri had been repeatedly asking the government to come out with some guidelines to end the confusion amongst parents. The court is hearing a plea for stopping various private schools from admitting children below four years of age in their pre-primary (nursery) classes.
The lawyer also accused the government of not enforcing the court's September 2007 order, which directed the government to implement the Ganguly Committee recommendations, fixing four years as the minimum age for admission to pre-primary classes.